OCTOBER 2014 BOOK ROUND-UP

I've decided to post something from my personal life from time to time, and because books and reading takes a great deal of it, this is the October Book Round-Up (quite late for that, right?). I had a lot of free time in October 2014, and in terms of reading, it was a very productive month, so don't be terrified, it doesn't happen that often that I read 2197 (!!) pages in 30 days.

But let's get to the list of my October books:

- Anita Blake #12: Incubus Dreams by Laurell K Hamilton
- Anita Blake #13: Micah by Laurell K Hamilton
- Inferno by Dan Brown
- The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
- Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
- Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns by Lauren Weisberger

Because I've read most of these books on my amazing Kindle 5, I can't take pictures of them and am very sorry for that. There will be pictures next time, promise!

ANITA BLAKE #12 INCUBUS DREAMS & #13 MICAH by Laurell K Hamilton

I am totally crazy about these books by Laurell. I've read them all several times but because there are so many of them, it never gets old. If you have no idea what this book series is about, Anita Blake is a necromancer and a vampire hunter who has gotten herself involved with the vampire and lycanthrope community because of her knowledge and skills. I don't want to spoil it for you, but if you don't mind vampires, definitely do try this - sometimes it's a romance, sometimes there's so much action, other times a bit of erotica ... (If you liked 50 Shades because of the erotic scenes, you'll definitely love this.) Don't hesitate and at least try this, it's perfect. I especially love the book #13 Micah - Anita finds herself alone with her lover Micah for the first time, away from everyone and from St. Louis and their relationship gets to another new level.

INFERNO by Dan Brown

I've read all of the previous books by Brown about Robert Langdon and I am fascinated by it. I've started with Angels & Demons and I have to say, it's the one I liked the most until Inferno. Maybe it's because all of Brown's books are very similar - there's always Robert Langdon who meets a woman who helps him unravel a mystery. Inferno isn't that much different from the previous books but I got excited because of the idea of the book - I won't spoil it, don't worry, you'd be robbed of the experience. If you plan on reading Brown, you can definitely skip the first three books and jump right to Inferno, you won't miss anything important, but make sure to come back to the previous ones!

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green

Yes, I realize how long it took me to find my way to this book, but it never even occurred to me it would be this good. I mean, everyone told me it's awesome and just perfect but ... there's a lot of other books like this, right? Well, not really. The Fault In Our Stars is an astonishing story about two young people who are also cancer patients. The book is about their life and shows a very different point of view on this entire topic - because we experience the story from the point of view of the ill. It opened my eyes and showed me what these people could be thinking when they know from the first years of their lives that their time on Earth is just a bit more limited than ours. It is a sad story, I've had hysterics during the last twenty percent of the book, and that doesn't happen very often with me (I’ve actually never cried this hard because of a story, be it a book or a movie), but it's also so funny! It really is like crying one second and laughing so hard the next one. I definitely do recommend The Fault In Our Stars but if you don't want to read it, at least watch the movie - it's very similar to the book and is very good, too.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND by Lewis Carroll

I am ashamed and very sorry at the same time - I've never read Alice in Wonderland. Yes, I always knew what it was about, I’ve seen the movie from 2010 (it's not really true to the book, though) but I've never sat down to read the short story about Alice. I've decided to set that right in summer but got to it in October - and I'm really glad I finally brought myself to this. If there is someone among you people who hasn't read Alice in Wonderland, definitely go and read it, it's just something over 50 pages, it's written in really nice English and it has some interesting thoughts. Those of you, who have read it during your childhood, just go, grab your copy and read it again :)

REVENGE WEARS PRADA: THE DEVIL RETURNS by Lauren Weisberger

This was a book I really was looking forward to, I had the publication date highlighted in my calendar so I wouldn't forget (huh, still haven't read it until October!) but it also disappointed me so much. It's true that I idealized the first one, I didn't like Devil Wears Prada so much but it was written so beautifully that I've forgotten about the real story. With Revenge Wears Prada, I was hoping for more scenes with Miranda who would come back and make Andrea's life miserable once again but I was disappointed when there was no sign of Miranda through the first half of the book and even after that, her role wasn't as significant as I hoped. Most of the book was about Andrea's life, about her husband, her relationship with Emily and so on, there wasn't so much about Miranda which I'm very sorry for, it could've been so much better.

Revenge Wears Prada is also the only book I went to buy to a bookstore, so here is the picture:


What have you read recently? Is there anything you’d recommend to me? Thank you all for reading this far and stay tuned for other blogposts x

No comments:

Post a Comment